Samozaryadnyy Okhotnichiy Karabin, obrazets 1994 (Self-loading Hunting Carbine, model 1994) Vepr ("Wild Boar") is a series of Russian semi auto hunting rifles based on the RPK light machine gun and produced by "Molot" from 1994.
The Vepr I was based on the RPK and had a heavier receiver and a thicker barrel than the surplus AK rifles. It also had the original offset adjustable notch-and-post iron sights that could be dialed from 50 to 1,000 meters and adjusted for windage. It was designed to take proprietary polymer magazines rather than surplus Milspec or commercial Saiga-type models.
The Vepr II was an improved version created for Wolf Performance Arms in 2012. It had a phosphated finish, higher-quality machining, and a hammer-forged barrel. It also had a redesigned spring-loaded firing pin and redesigned notch-and-post iron sights. The hooded blade front sight was moved from the end of the barrel to in front of the gas block. The notch rear sight at the front of the receiver is a flip-up version calibrated for either 100 or 300 meters. The russet-colored polymer magazines were repainted black to match the new darker finish. Left-handed thumbhole stocks were available by special order.
The American government placed a ban on their direct importation from July, 2014 due to the political situation with Russia. This was expanded on June 19, 2017 by a specific Treasury Department ban on the importation of Molot firearms for their knowing involvement in a scheme to use their company as a front for Kalashnikov Concern arms sales.
|Name||Calibre||Barrel Length||Overall Length||Weight||Magazine||Furniture|
|SOK-94||7.62x39mm||16.5" [420mm]||36.8" [935mm]||9.47 lbs. [4.3 kg]||2,3,5 or 10 rounds||Two-part walnut stock: Pistolgrip Thumbhole buttstock and Forend.|
|SOK-95||7.62x51mm||16.5" [420mm]||36.8" [935mm]||9.47 lbs. [4.3 kg]||2,3,5 or 10 rounds||Two-part walnut stock: Pistolgrip Thumbhole buttstock and Forend.|
|SOK-97||5.56x45mm||16.5" [420mm]||36.8" [935mm]||8.59 lbs. [3.9 kg.]||2,3,5 or 10 rounds||Two-part walnut stock: Pistolgrip Thumbhole buttstock and Forend.|
|Vepr-1V MINI||7.62x39mm||17.4" [442mm]||26.37” [670mm]||8.37 lbs. [3.8 kg.]||30-round magazine||Three-part stock: side-folding two-strut tubular metal buttstock, polymer pistol-grip, and polymer forend.|
|Vepr-K||7.62x39mm||16.5" [420mm]||35.75” [908mm]||8.5 lbs. [3.85 kg.]||30-round magazine||Two-part polymer stock: full-pistolgrip buttstock and forend.|
Main variants are:
- Vepr-762 / Vepr-76239 (SOK-94) in 7.62x39mm M-43. Comes with 16.5-inch [420mm] (SOK-94-07), 20.5-inch [520mm] (SOK-94-05), and 23.2-inch [590mm] (SOK-94-06) barrels and uses 2-, 5- or 10-round magazines.
- Vepr-308 (SOK-95) in .308 Winchester [7.62x51mm]. Comes with 16.5-inch [420mm] (308-01), 20.5-inch [520mm] (308-02), and 23.2-inch [590mm] (308-03) barrels and uses 5- or 10-round magazines.
- Vepr-223 (SOK-97) in .223 Remington [5.56x45mm]. Comes with 16.5-inch [420mm] (223-01), 20.5-inch [520mm] (223-02), and 23.2-inch [590mm] (223-03) barrels and uses 5- or 10-round magazines.
- Vepr-545 / Vepr 54539 (SOK-98) in 5.45×39mm M-74. Comes with 16.5-inch [420mm] (545-01), 20.5-inch [520mm] (545-02), and 23.2-inch [590mm] (545-03) barrels and uses 5- or 10-round magazines.
- Vepr-76254 (VPO-123) in 7.62x54mmR M-91. Comes with 16.5-inch [420mm], 20.5-inch [520mm], 23.2-inch [590mm], and 27.5-inch [700mm] barrels and uses 5- or 10-round magazines.
- Vepr-243 in .243 Winchester [6.16x51mm]. Comes with 16.5-inch [420mm] (243-01), 20.5-inch [520mm] (243-02), and 23.2-inch [590mm] (243-03) barrels and uses 7-round magazines.
- Vepr-3006 in .30-06 Springfield [7.62x63mm]. Comes with 16.5-inch [420mm] (3006-01), 20.5-inch [520mm] (3006-02), and 23.2-inch [590mm] (3006-03) barrels and uses 5- or 10-round magazines.
- Vepr-65G (VPO-128) in 6.5x39mm Grendel. Comes with 16.5-inch [420mm] (65G-01), 20.5-inch [520mm](65G-02), and 23.2-inch [590mm](65G-03) barrels and uses 10-round magazines. There are magazine well conversions that allow the use of 6.5-calibre AR-15-type magazines instead.
- Vepr SUPER (VPRS) in .223 Remington [5.56x45mm] (SOK-97M) and .308 Winchester [7.62x51mm] (SOK-95M) with a 21.5-inch [550mm] barrel and a one-piece walnut semi-pistolgrip thumbhole stock. There were a few early models offered in .222 Remington [5.7×43mm] and .35 Remington [8.9x49mm]. It comes either with a side-mounted scope bracket on the left side of the receiver or a stock tapped to take a top-mounted scope. Comes with a 5- or 10-round magazine.
- Vepr HUNTER (VPRH) in .308 Winchester [7.62x51mm] (VPO-101), 7.62x54mmR M-91 (VPO-124), and .30-06 Springfield [7.62x63mm] (VPO-102). It has a 21.5-inch [550mm] barrel, a one-piece walnut Monte Carlo stock, and a side-mounted scope bracket on the left side of the receiver. The 7.62x51mm model uses a 10-round magazine and the 7.62x54mmR and .30-06 models use 5-round magazines.
- Vepr PIONEER (VPRP) in .223 Remington [5.56x45mm] (SOK-97R) and 7.62x39mm M-43 (SOK-95R). It has a 21.5-inch [550mm] barrel, a one-piece walnut Monte Carlo stock that is tapped for a top-mounted scope, and uses 10-round magazines.
- Vepr-1V MINI in 5.45x39mm M-74 (VPO-126), 5.56x45mm NATO (VPO-125), 7.62x39mm M-43 (VPO-127), and 7.62x54mmR M-91 (VPO-129). It is an RPK cut down to look like an AKM rifle. It has a ribbed RPK-type forend, polymer pistol grip, RPK-style flash-hider, and a side-folding two-strut tubular metal stock with a buttpad and reversible cheekpad. The Vepr-1V-E is designed for the American export market. It lacks the flash hider, has a fixed solid stock rather than a folding tubular stock, and comes with 5- or 10-round magazines.
- Vepr-KM in 5.45x39mm M-74 (KM-AK74), 7.62x39mm M-43 (KM-AK47), .308 Winchester (KM-AK308), and 7.62x54mm M-91 (KM-AK54). This is a copy of the AK-47 but with an RPK receiver and a heavier barrel. It has a choice of burgundy-stained wooden furniture, AK-74S style polymer furniture, or M-4 style polymer furniture and uses 5- or 10-round magazines. A 30-round magazine blocked for 10 rounds is available.
- Robinson Arms Vepr-K in 5.45x39mm M-74, 5.56x45mm NATO, 7.62x39mm M-43, and 7.62x51mm NATO. The Vepr-K Tactical Rifle is a Molot Vepr II that was refinished and given a new polymer full-pistolgrip buttstock and forend. It has a side-bracket that allows the use of milspec Russian scopes. The Vepr-K in 5.45x39mm M-74 and 7.62x39mm M-43 takes the standard Russian magazines and drums. The 5.56x45mm NATO version uses modified 30-round 5.45-cailbre AK-74 magazines and the 7.62x51mm NATO version uses standard 25-round 7.62mm-calibre Galil magazines.
|How I Ended This Summer||Sergei Puskepalis||Sergei Gulybin||SOK-94 Vepr ("Boar")||2010|
|The Old Man (Shal)||Poacher||SOK-94 Vepr ("Boar")||2012|
|Survarium||SOK-94||SOK-94 Vepr ("Boar")||2015|
- Vyatskie Polyany Machine Building Plant "Molot" - A list of all firearms manufactured by "Molot".