Talk:The Punisher (1989)
Excellent Thomas Jane Film?
Who put that there anyways? I think I threw up 4 times watching that movie based on pure boredom. What 2 gun battles in the entire pic?--Panther61DC08 15:48, 1 August 2009 (UTC)
- IMFDB users seem to think the the 2004 version was great. I prefer the War Zone version. It's like Commando on Steroids.-Oliveira 16:59, 1 August 2009 (UTC)
- MPM2008 wrote it. And it WAS an excellent film. Not everything in a movie need to be action. - Gunmaster45
- I liked WarZone (punches through a dude's FACE), but Thomas Jane's version is definitely more character-oriented. Though WarZone seems closer to the comics.-protoAuthor
Got this version, will screencap-protoAuthor
Someone needs to change the headline on this page stating that the Tom Jane Punisher film was excellent, as that comment is purely the authors opinion. - PunisherDave
- Done. 5/27/10 22:30 CST. -JAG1967
- And undone, do it correctly or not at all. Also removing the sarcasm from the page. MoviePropMaster2008 04:23, 28 May 2010 (UTC)
- Done. 5/27/10 22:30 CST. -JAG1967
Thank you sir. - PunisherDave
To be honest as an avid reader of The Punisher I think so far all the attempts to do The Punisher on screen have been failures. The 1989 one was more of a vigilante revenge film. The 2004 one ruined the characters back story and was too comical in it's nature, not to mention that fire hydrant stuff. The latest one kept the back story of the character to the original and I thought Ray Stevenson did Frank Castle pretty well, but the script was not anywhere near as serious as it should have been and the film still didn't feel much like a Punisher film, even with the increased violence and nods to some of the characters. I think in order to do The Punisher right they need to make it realistic and gritty like the MAX line of graphic novels. And I suggest they watch The Wire and specifically the character of Omar as he is very Punisher-like in his appearance and his demenour. --cool-breeze 15:36, 26 November 2010 (UTC)
Well if you think about it, the Punisher is a vigilante and he went from revenge killing for his family and then he went off and wanted to kill all criminals no matter how small time or high up on the chain. All three movies did an ok job on showing us the Punisher creative killings and each actor portrayed a Punisher look. The 2004's back story might not have been exactly the same as the original in the comics, but it had the same effect, if not more so. Some of the Punisher kills in the comics were kinda funny. There really is no way to incorrectly portray a character like The Punisher. Excalibur01 16:10, 26 November 2010 (UTC)
- Still don't watched War Zone, but as I like revenge and vigilante films I really like 1989 and 2004 versions both, as well as original comics. Bought today a licensed DVD of a 1989 version and glad to have such in my collection. And it also uses original skull symbol in the film, only not on a t-shirt. --Kloga 21:59, 1 March 2011 (UTC)
- The only thing that makes this the 1989 film a Punisher film is the title. It ruined the characters back story as well... what the hell are yout alking? There was nothing from the comics in this at all. Nothing was accurate.
The only good things I can say about the 2004 film, is that the story and plot took its time, it wasn’t rushed, we were able to feel Frank’s pain. The action was simply and realistic, but it was mostly inaccurate from the comics.
War Zone... just because it’s somewhat more accurate to the comic book (up to a point) and has a darker look, that doesn’t mean it’s the better film. It was trying to be more like the Max Punisher, but when Garth Ennis wrote the Punisher under the MAX line, the story and plot actually had intelligence to it. It didn’t have mindless unrealistic action ith villains from Dick Tracy, the characters were interesting, the villains were realistic, and the lines and dialog were actually good. But this film had none of that. Like the 1989 film, there are so many things wrong with this film, a list would be endless.
This page needs a serious revamp. I got it capped and will sort and upload after lunch.--Predator20 15:46, 28 May 2010 (UTC)