Talk:Red Dead Redemption
Holy patron saint of awesome there's a fucking C96 in the game. I dont care about historical innacuracies, Im glad they finally put this gun in another game. Plus I've been wanting to see it in another western setting since Joe Kidd. Plus I can get all...Lawrence of arabia-y...anyone agree?--ConditionNone 08:29, 6 February 2010 (UTC)
Its not inaccurate, the game takes place in 1908.
Wrong the game takes place in 1911. First C96 was released in 1899
And now I know. AND KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE!--ConditionNone 08:29, 6 February 2010 (UTC)
Well played sir.
Il Grande Silenzio (aka The Great Silence) also features C96 used by the main character in deadly effect. Brilliant movie, you should see it.--AlkoTanko 12:53, 6 February 2010 (UTC)
Will do. Now, if somebody would just make a game where I could use a webley other than Bioshock/Darksector. And a mauser. AT THE SAME TIME WOAH!!!--ConditionNone 18:54, 20 February 2010 (UTC)
This page's format
Nice work so far. I look forward to seeing the page's creators fix the minor page layout errors. i.e. don't put a LINK to the gun page. Write an original paragraph about who uses the gun and how it appears in the game and hyperlink the gun NAME to the gun page. Remember to check the rules & standards, the titles in the sections are never hyperlinked, only the name of the gun in the written section describing the usage in the game. Also every image should have THUMB in the wiki line with a size designator and the IMFDB page standard descriptors in the gun image and the screenshot. Any insightful summaries about the game and it's back story would also be nice. good job. MoviePropMaster2008 06:24, 6 February 2010 (UTC)
I wasn't planning on adding details about each weapon until after the game is released, and more info is available, also, this is my first try at editing a wiki. (Wematanye)
How come there's no 1887 shotguns. They'd make more sense than an Auto-5 or a pump-action. Browing designed the lever-action specifically for frontiersmen. (Hughjefender)
Mannlicher M95 or Carcano 38?
The rifle which is currently called the "Mannlicher 1895" seems to be rather a Carcano 38 which can be seen at the front barrel band. Lookt it up on surplusrifle or google. The Austrian Mannlicher 95 has a different band. Furthermore, but I am not 100% sure about this, the Austrians did not shorten the M95s before WWI. So no matter which rifle it is it is anachronistic in all cases, but it really looks like a Carcano 38. Greetings from Franconia. Paul_Baeumer
Hi it's me again. I just saw that the rifle was positively identified as a Carcano by a recently added screenshot, showing the characteristic magazine which distinguishes the Italian Mannlicher Carcano from the Austrian Steyr Mannlicher M95. Thus the Mannlicher 95 could be removed from the "Needs positive Identification" section. Greetings from Franconia. Paul_Baeumer 19 April 2010
- I was on the Red Dead Redemption wiki the other day and the good ole 1911 was listed as a usable weapon-S&Wshooter 05:20, 9 May 2010 (UTC)
Well the game is set in 1911 (From what I've been told) so could it possible? Hoot471 09:24, 9 May 2010 (UTC)
- The game is actually set in 1908 from what I've heard. Chris_Hun7er 17:56, 9 May 2010 (UTC)
The red dead wiki has a number of weapons that are unconfirmed. They are either just hopeful or mistaken, confusing the Bordchart for a Luger and the Colt 1903/1908 for a 1911
I have also heard it being set in 1911 BeardedHoplite 02:45, 11 May 2010 (UTC)
Where did you hear that? all official statements I have heard say 1908.
I couldn't specifically tell you, but I believe it was from a few gaming sites (Games Radar, IGN, Game Informer etc.) BeardedHoplite 17:28, 11 May 2010 (UTC)
I had heard the game took place in 1908, which wouldn't make the 1911 appropriate...however who's to say all of the games events take place in the year 1908...esspecially since they talk about the mexican revolution being apart of the game which happened in 1911
- Well it would make the 1911 very inappropriate actually. And the game doesn't actually contain the revolution proper, but rather the events leading up to the revolution. That being said I highly doubt the 1911 would be in the same game when the 1903/1908 is already confirmed. Mercer 04:36, 15 May 2010 (UTC)
I'se reading the Playstation Store description of the game and it says that the game takes place in 1911.--126.96.36.199 16:06, 15 May 2010 (UTC)
Maybe it goes from 1908 to 1911? BeardedHoplite 02:00, 18 May 2010 (UTC)
Well we'll all find out tomorrow children. Mercer 04:30, 18 May 2010 (UTC)
It's official, no 1911, no luger, no colt walker, no colt navy, no springfield 1903, no winchester 1887, or anything else people have claimed to see in the game or heard from someone. All small arms have already been identified. Mercer 19:20, 18 May 2010 (UTC)
Just for reference, the games does take place in 1911, it's on the back of the box BeardedHoplite 00:57, 20 May 2010 (UTC)
But the map in the actual game says 1910 on it.
Yeah, but that could just mean you have a year old map.--188.8.131.52 20:59, 20 May 2010 (UTC)
It's definitely set in 1911. If you look at (SPOILERS)John's tombstone, you'll see he died in 1911. (END SPOILERS) However, it is possible that the game starts in 1910, but transitions to 1911 at some point. Acora 01:44, 2 August 2010 (UTC)
The game goes from 1908-1914. It starts in 1908, John dies in 1911, and then you start playing as Jack in 1914.--TheDon 19:16, 15 December 2010 (UTC)
I would like to point out, as you have seem to forgotten, that the 1911 pistol was designed and built before 1911. It was entered into trials in 1910, so it did exist before it was adopted as the M1911 by the army. That being said, unless john Marston or a gun dealer was close friends with either John M. Browning or someone involved in testing and approving the gun, it would have been extremely unlikely that he would posses the firearm. 184.108.40.206 20:05, 14 January 2011 (UTC)
Merged Carcano Rifle
Just a heads up, I moved the image in "Carcano Rifle Scoped" to "Carcano Rifle" and deleted the "Carcano Rifle Scoped" section. Chris_Hun7er 5:50, 10 May 2010
I know this doesn't really have anything to do with the actual rifle, but does the second Krag-Jorgensen screen shot show a naked person hanging from the ceiling?--ColonelTomb 00:01, 15 May 2010 (UTC)
It certainly does. And according to some early reviews there is much worse to be found in the game. Mercer 23:31, 13 May 2010 (UTC)
Do you mean in terms of brutality or of nudity?--ColonelTomb 00:01, 15 May 2010 (UTC)
Both from the sound of itMercer 00:49, 15 May 2010 (UTC)
- Hurrah for gratuitous violence!-S&Wshooter 02:17, 15 May 2010 (UTC)
Yeah, if that's the scene I believe it is, if you inspect the dead body after the cutscene you can see that his genitals have been cut off. Lovely. Acora 01:45, 2 August 2010 (UTC)
Colt New Service/Colt New Army
has it been positively identified yet?
Changed the protection level on this page
Now you must log in as a user to edit. It keeps all the anonymous kids from undoing all your hard work :) MPM2008 (a mod)
why is there a pic of an animated glock on page?
- Anonymous User 220.127.116.11 put it on the page, perhaps not realizing that Example.jpg linked to a different image. ANYWAY, that's one reason why I BLOCKED anonymous users from editing this page. Dumb stuff like that. It has been fixed. MoviePropMaster2008 22:48, 22 May 2010 (UTC)
So Now that RDR has hit the streets, what do you guys think of it? I bought it thinking it would be fun, but nothing more than GTA IV in the West. Boy was I ever wrong! This has so much more to offer, and is one of the best games to come out in recent years. The combat is exciting and fun, the graphics are stunning, the story is awesome, and the sound effects are pure western! Just picking up an old Krag or SAA and capping some Mexican rebels or gang members if a hoot. The Multiplayer will keep you playing after the epic story is completed, and I think this is a game everybody should pick up. Besides minor glitches, it's perfect, 10 out of 10!M14fanboy
The funny part is that the glitches actually added to the fun (for me at least). Seeing flying deer or riding an invisible horse is simply gold BeardedHoplite 22:52, 25 May 2010 (UTC)
I love the game. Granted, the story isn't the greatest, but it's still an amazing game, especially in terms of gameplay. If they made a sequel, I would certainly buy it. Acora 01:48, 2 August 2010 (UTC)
According to rockstar social club (lists in-depth analysis of kills and such) its labeled as a Browning, which is quite possible considering that a water cooled m1919 did exist, and it looked similar. 18.104.22.168 00:02, 26 May 2010 (UTC)
- Actually it's a Browning M1917, my bad. 22.214.171.124 22:26, 26 May 2010 (UTC)
anyone going to change it?126.96.36.199 17:42, 29 May 2010 (UTC)
- Either way, it's anachronistic, since the game is set in 1911. Acora 01:49, 2 August 2010 (UTC)
- Who changed it back? Most of the game is anachronistic. It's a Browning not a Maxim...188.8.131.52
- Just because the the MG in the game has a pistol grip doesn't necessarily make it a Browning. Some Maxims had pistol grips, such as this 1895 model . Looking at screenshots of the in-game MG, the grip appears to more closely resemble the Maxim model, primarily because it seems to have a trigger guard. Besides this, the MG in RDR has no bolt handle on the right side as it should if it was a Browning, and instead the ammo feeds from the right side as it would on a Maxim. I think the notation on the page from the anonymous poster insisting it be called a Browning should be removed. The fact is, despite what Rockstar calls the gun in RDR, it has more features of a Maxim than a Browning--Phillb36 03:20, 18 February 2011 (UTC)
- Who changed it back? Most of the game is anachronistic. It's a Browning not a Maxim...184.108.40.206
Who is John Quigley? Do you perhaps mean Matthew Quigley from Quigley Down Under or is that a different person? humanzie3
Probably the name Quigley is a small cameo. --FIVETWOSEVEN 01:18, 23 July 2010 (UTC)
No, humazie3 is right, it is actually supposed to be Matthew Quigley from Quigley Down Under. The character Quigley uses a Sharps rifle. --1morey
The Mauser C96 in-game is NOT fully automatic, just semi (as the "Savvy merchant caption" picture already states). Please change that. --220.127.116.11 17:28, 29 May 2010 (UTC)
- In single player it's fully automatic. 18.104.22.168 17:41, 29 May 2010 (UTC)
In Multiplayer it is still full-auto, its just REALLY slow BeardedHoplite 03:03, 31 May 2010 (UTC)
The pistol isn't anachronistic, either, considering that the game is set in 1911 and the first C96 was released in 1899.
The pistol, as in the M712 SchnellFeuer , which was first designed in 1932, 21 years after the events of the game (If you fellas read the back of the game, it says the year is 1911) is COMPLETELY anachronistic. The videogame gun, named the C96, correct was created well before hand, but the guns fully automatic function and large ammo capability dictate it as the M712 SchnellFeuer. [GOOBER Edit.]
If any of youse guys have golden guns, screencap them and upload them. I only have the Borchart and the New Service. I'll get the borchart up later today BeardedHoplite 14:19, 10 June 2010 (UTC)
High Power Pistol
Just read on another site. They claim that the high power is actually the FN 1903 NOT the Colt 1903. Kinda makes sense figure I'll leave it up to someone else to make sure.
Its definatly the FN 1903, Look at the slide length. I'm no good at this so can someone else please change it for me? --FIVETWOSEVEN 01:45, 5 July 2010 (UTC)
Hold up, if the LeMat is not a break-top revolver, how does it load?
- It's a percussion revolver, so it loads by packing the front of the cylinders. Look at the frame by frame shots of a LeMat being loaded in this film: The Quick and the Dead. - Gunmaster45
- There were actually pinfire and centerfire versions that loaded via gate like a Colt SAA. There's a picture of the centerfire version uploaded on this site. - Nyles
Needs Positive Identification
I noticed a nickel finished revolver on one screencap, that could be the Schofield but looks somewhat different:  Any ideas?
It could be the Colt New Service swing out revolver with a nickel finish
That's just the way the enemy guns look, makes it easier to spot when you go to pick up ammunition. They make the Winchesters look like '66 "Yellow Boys" because of that effect. -Cole Thorton
Yeah, Cole is right. It looks like it has a nickel finish, but all enemy guns look that way. Hell, the SAA looks chromed half the time. Acora 01:10, 29 May 2010 (UTC)
If you read closely, you'll find out that the scope reticle on the carcano is anarchist;
- "An anarchistic feature of the Carcano's scope is it has a duplex style reticle, as most scopes produced in the day were wire cross hairs"
Krags & Henrys instead of Mondragons?
The game is awesome but why would the Mexican Army be using Krag rifles and Henrys when they already adopted the Mondragon M1908 that is semi-automatic and fires the 7x57mm Mauser Rounds? It just seems strange to have these rifles being used when a more modern one is available.
Eh, it's what Rockstar did, they probably either didn't know or didn't care. Can't really blame them. BeardedHoplite 04:51, 22 December 2010 (UTC)
I forgot about the Mondragons that were around at the time. But as stated above, Rockstar most likely didn't do their research, I mean they made the C96 a full auto handgun and got that FN pistol instead of a 1911 Excalibur01 06:42, 22 December 2010 (UTC)
Thanks for the feedback, just these little inaccuracies seem to make a difference, fire rate and power for instance :)-CZAR-
Even though the Mondragon was officially adopted as the standard rifle, there weren't enough issued to equip the entire Mexican Army. A more accurate choice would have been a bolt-action Mauser. I thought it bizarre that the game includes a Carcano and a rifle based on the Krag instead of a Mauser or Springfield. As for semi-autos included in the game, a Mondragon would be cool, but in my opinion there should have been a Remington Model 8 or Winchester 1907. Since the Browning shotgun was included, I thought for sure there would be a semi-auto rifle as well. No luck, but maybe in the next game? Still, the weapons choices for RDR prove to me that a reasonable amount of research was done. If Treyarch made this game it would full of Steyr AUGS and SPAS-12s :)--Phillb36 18:09, 24 December 2010 (UTC)
Well the two games seem closer than it seem, the mission in mexico it's a black ops, seriously yeah. I don't know who first had the idea but since there was a Nico Bellic lookalike in Modern warfare, and and Billy Grey lookalike in Black Ops, they certainly stole that from an other Rockstar's production, and my first thought about the Hipower was "oh maybe a 1911 prototype" (the game could have got a colt 1911, but the map says 1910 so maybe it takes place in 1910 at the beggining before passing at 1911).
But the Black ops are portrayed very differently, in Black Ops it's Cia agents with custom and anachronistic gun(they could use the time machine , to I dont know, change the vietnam to win , they picked up new weapons for relose again), Red dead the governement threats someone, and gets him to Mexico, with a mission about one of his friend -inofficially dispose of the local dictator- and he has to find weapons and help by himself.
And talking about Vietnam war, treyarch forgot the ride of Walkyrie for the chopper scene why? At least if they put Never gonna give you up that's could be cool (anachronistic but cool), but none of the above. At least Blizzard's staff saw Apocalypse now by quoting "I like Napalm smell in the morning" (and yes they work independantly from Activision so Activision Blizzard logo has no sense)
--comateman 19:00, 24 December 2010 (UTC)
I think its safe to say that Rockstar didn't take the time to do ANY research on the weapons of the time, but i will give them credit for the FN 1903, as strange as it is when a 1911 could have been used. If anyones heard about the L.A. Noire game i hope that the weapons won't be a distraction to the storyline....
- I'm sorry, but it's impossible that they didn't do any research. How could have they ended up putting a pistol in the game such as the Borchardt if they hadn't researched it? It's not exactly a well known design among people who know nothing of the history of firearms. It's more likely they researched the firearms, but made some poor choices as to what to include in the game. I'm not sure why so many people are objecting to the FN 1903 being in the game. It's true it should have been the Colt 1903 version, but this type of pistol was certainly a popular design and isn't out of place in this time period, and it's one of the guns that I was hoping to see in RDR. Many people are clamoring for a 1911, but the game starts in 1910 before it even existed. Although the game ends after 1911(i'm not sure as I haven't played it yet), so I suppose it could have been included. Yet, if you're so interested in being acccurate then the 1911 shouldn't be in RDR as it was so new that only the U.S. Army would have any. Plus the 1911 has been in about a million games. How many times has a colt or FN 1903 appeared in a game? The bolt action rifle was one thing that bothered me the most about RDR--no Mauser or M1903, but a Carcano and Krag-like rifle?!?! So which of the other weapons show Rockstar didn't do any research? I think the majority are fine, but of course it could have been better. What should have been included? If you think this selection of weapons isn't historically accurate, then don't look at the COD: Black Ops page, you'll probably have a coronary-- I know I almost did.--Phillb36 02:40, 1 January 2011 (UTC)
I have no problem with the FN 1903 in the game, i just dispute its title of "High Power Pistol". And as for the Krag, I thought it was an okay choice though I would have loved a Mauser. My biggest problem was the Trap Door Springfield having four shots. I also think the game should have had a muzzle loading rifle and a true percussion revolver. A colt revolving rifle would have fit as well. The game takes place in 1911, the map is just a year old. It ain't to hard to believe that a former outlaw would bother to buy a new map since he was deciding to settle down.--22.214.171.124 22:56, 14 January 2011 (UTC)
Game designers are out to make a fun, cool game that makes sense to people with little idea of how real firearms work, not to achieve perfect historical accuracy. Weapons like the Borchardt and Krag-Jorgensen look different from "normal" guns, especially in the Old West environment. As for having unrealistic power or features, it's a way to make the game more interesting. The 1903 is a recognizable modern design that only appears at the end of the game, when powerful replacements for your previous guns appear. Making the C96 a machine pistol sets it apart from the rest of the guns and provides a portable automatic weapon. The Springfield is a hell of a lot more useful with an internal magazine instead of as a single-shot, as the buffalo rifle is already in the game and would otherwise be roughly the same. The fact that they even included such unusual weapons as the Borchardt indicates that they definitely did their homework, but you need to make concessions for fun and making sense. We'd all love to see every setting get its own extremely accurate depiction and it could probably be plenty of fun, but it's not really something for the general public that would make millions in sales. Focus on the story and characters, not making sure the gun nuts won't whine. Chitoryu12 17:53, 15 April 2012 (CDT)
I Don't Agree with Listing the Machine Gun as a Browning M1917
I don't think the machine gun can definitively be called a Browning. The whole receiver is wrong; it feeds from the right side and there is no bolt handle, which are features of a Maxim. The pistol grip also looks more like what is found on the 1895 light weight Maxim than the grip of a Browning. See what I wrote above for a more detailed explanation. At best this should be listed as a Maxim/Browning hybrid.--Phillb36 13:24, 26 February 2012 (CST)
- I added a mention of the gun despite being listed as a browning indeed sharing some characteristics with the maxim gun. Brasco (talk) 08:12, 23 December 2012 (EST)
20 gauge Browning A5?
I guess it's a bit late now to mention it, but just recently I played through the game using the Browning A5 and I noticed that it's a lot less powerful than the other shotguns. Now I don't know if it was patched or if it was always that way but I'm wondering for balance reasons whether R* intentionally made it a 20 gauge version of the A5. What do you guys think?
- I think it's just less powerful for balance issues, because having a semi auto shotgun that can fire all five rounds in less than three seconds that's just as powerful as the others isn't really a fair deal, especially online. Kornflakes89 19:48, 22 August 2012 (CDT)
Power differences between the later repeaters
I don't know about on 360, but in the PS3 version, there are power differences between the Winchester, Henry, and Evans, with the Henry having a big boost over both. I've used all three extensively, the Winchester taking 2-3 shots in the upper torso to kill and the Evans 3-4, while the Henry wins out being a consistent one-shot kill. From my experience, it's clearly the best repeater in the game as any advantage provided by the Winchester's faster reload speed and Evans' higher ammo capacity is negligible at best compared to the big power boost of the Henry. Spartan198 (talk) 20:02, 21 March 2013 (EDT)
- I've got it on the 360 and just a few hours ago I was heavily using the Henry for the last few Mexico missions. It was consistently making 2 or even 3 shot kills with torso shots (though I should point out the damage seems to be heavily randomized, and I've had even the Cattleman make one-shot kills to the chest before). I just bought the Evans before saving, so when I turn it back on soon I'll take a look at the damage. Chitoryu12 (talk) 23:23, 1 April 2013 (EDT)
- Okay, I took the Evans out for a try and used Dead Eye to ensure that all of the shots were landing exactly where they needed to go. It was still 2 or 3 shot kills, and occasionally a 1 shot even at range. There seems to be a heavy degree of randomness in the damage dealt, with the stat listed in the weapon selection menu indicating the chance of powerful hits rather than simply a straight "More damage per shot." Chitoryu12 (talk) 17:23, 2 April 2013 (EDT)
The winchester in the game is an 1894, right? It's true that the weapon wheel menu shows something more like a '92 but the gun in-game looks like it has a bigger loading gate than a 1892 would have. RubendenHaan (talk) 07:18, 26 December 2018 (EST)
- Yeah it's a 94, the weapon wheel shows a 73 which was also featured in some of the concept art but then the game model was changed for reasons known only to the developers. Also you should sign your posts, it's four tildes ~ in a row. Just so people know who's posting as time goes on. Black Irish Paddy (talk) 11:37, 21 December 2018 (EST)