|And Quiet Flows the Don|
DVD Cover of the Restored Edition
||Silent; Russian subtitles
And Quiet Flows the Don (original title Tikhiy Don) is a Soviet 1930 B&W movie based on the first part of the famous novel by Mikhail Sholokhov. It depict the fate of a Don Cossack family before and during the World War One.
This movie is the first screen adaptation of Sholokhov's novel, followed by much better known 1957 three-part movie directed by Sergey Gerasimov.
The following weapons were used in the film And Quiet Flows the Don (Tikhiy Don):
Mosin Nagant M1891
Mosin Nagant M1891 rifles are carried by Cossacks and soldiers. Both Infantry and Dragoon versions of Mosin rifle are seen.
Mosin Nagant M1891 Dragoon Rifle - 7.62x54mm R
Mosin Nagant M1891 Infantry Rifle - 7.62x54mm R
Stepan Astakhov (Georgi Kovrov) fires his rifle.
A soldier holds an M1891 Infantry rifle.
Another soldier with M1891 Infantry rifle.
In one scene a Cossack is armed with an Austrian Mannlicher M1895 rifle. It's historically correct as numerous captured Austro-Hungarian rifles were widely used by Russian troops.
Original Austro-Hungarian Steyr Mannlicher M1895 - 8x50R
A Cossack carries a Mannlicher rifle on sling.