I caught an episode of Shooting USA on the outdoor channel where they visited ISS and it was explained to them by Karl Weshta that ISS did reshoots on Avatar. They certainly had a plethora of the movies guns, all converted firing weapons, in their inventory. Teran Butler was on the tour with them. They talk about the weapons of the movie, and show us the WASP pistol. It's the same pistol in this video with Larry Zanoff, who clearly states (around the 2 minute mark) this gun is built on a GP100.
Perhaps ISS didn't have access to the original built on the Dan Wesson gun, and created their own from a stunt weapon, for the reshoots? Just a guess, but the page states there was only one gun built, and it was built on a Dan Wesson. If you look closely at the gun in that video, it has a 90 degree cut in the shroud forward of the cylinder which I would guess is so they didn't have to mess with removing the extractor.--James3 (talk) 14:33, 27 February 2014 (EST)
- Great video. I don't see a Ruger-style cylinder latch though (or any cylinder-latch, for that matter.) Obviously, it's fully functional, and I don't doubt the guy, but how would you open it up then? And where did we get that it was based on a Dan Wesson revolver? --Funkychinaman (talk) 16:17, 27 February 2014 (EST)
Well, the page for Avatar says it's a Dan Wesson 15-2. I have read in a few other places that it was a Dan Wesson 357.
ON the GP100: It's just the tang for the release that's exposed a little bit. The button has been removed and the frame ground down and filled in where the button was. The gun is heavily worked on.--James3 (talk) 19:07, 1 March 2014 (EST)
- Since the picture we have appears to be a stunt copy, I guess that explains why it doesn't have a release. --Funkychinaman (talk) 19:56, 1 March 2014 (EST)
- On the Dan Wesson the cylinder release is on the cylinder crane, so if this was one it would be hidden behind that false cowling on the left side of the cylinder crane. However, I am more inclined to believe that it is a GP100 for a couple of reasons in addition to the design of the cylinder release as mentioned by James3. Firstly the pin visible on the side of the frame isn't present on a Dan Wesson but is a perfect match for the placement of the pin on a Ruger. Secondly the hero revolver lacks the reinforcing rib that runs down from the bottom of the recoil shield which is on a Dan Wesson. Thridly and most deffinitively, the cylinder rotates the wrong way for a Dan Wesson but is correct for a Ruger (look at the orientation of the cylinder notches). Rather curiously the notches are the other way up on the stunt gun, however I do not think this is necessarily telling of there being another variant made from a different base gun out there as I have seen several instances where the stunt guns are not correctly modelled on the actual weapon (such as the stunt "Timecop Beretta" which incorrectly has a rounded trigger guard and no frame safety). My guess as to why this happens is that the stunt gun is built up from a similar replica and then castings are made from this, rather than from the hero gun itself. --commando552 (talk) 20:16, 1 March 2014 (EST)
Weta has this image posted on their site that I believe is the Dan Wesson based gun, including inside the holster. I am disputing that one firing gun exists. I think initially there was only one, and it was the Dan Wesson, built for principal photography. ISS was contracted to do reshoots and was unable or unwilling to use the Dan Wesson, so they built their own gun on the GP100 action. Meaning, after the reshoots, there was 2 firing WASP revolvers. One Dan Wesson, one GP100.--James3 (talk) 00:50, 3 March 2014 (EST)
Proper categorization of images
Guys, please. If you have behind the scene images, please put the term [ [ C_tegory : Behind the Scenes Image ] ] in the text box when you upload it, or at least edit the image to have that tag. Thank you. (Note, I put a _ in place of the letter A so that the Wiki code won't get confused.....) MoviePropMaster2008 03:12, 29 December 2009 (UTC)
some of the rifles look like a Experimental MR-C bullpup assault rifle Rex095
- Has Crye even put together a working prototype of one yet? Spartan198 21:13, 6 December 2009 (UTC)
I have the feeling that the guns are going to be like the pulse rifle almost impossible to tell what guns is underneath...If any. Rex095
has the general shape of the MR-C but has the same look as the Modified M60 machine gun. Rex095
the guns could not be real guns but look like there firing thou CGI effect?
- Except for the M60 based gun, most of the other guns look like fake props. All of their firing are CGI, so they are not build ups from real guns, like in Aliens. I just saw the flick and they really looked like 'built from the ground up' props. Too bad. It kinda makes the Avatar page here to be a lame one, since we are limited in what info we can provide to the general public regarding information. MPM2008
I can see why because there mostly filming in enclosed spaces, and went for CGI firing for safety. Rex095
- I don't remember all of it but I remember watching a behind-the-scenes segment and they showed them actually firing the weapons as they produced muzzle flashes though it was never explained if they were real or not.--ThePotShot 01:07, 20 December 2009 (UTC)
they could have used real guns for the shooting and had non firing versions for extra? Rex095
- There are definitely some real weapons firing blanks in this movie; I don't think that all of the gunfire was CGI. I watched it on HD last night, and it looks to me as though the assault rifles have either an AK- or Mini-14-style action inside. But I'm pretty sure that given this movie's budget and the time spent in development, Weta could have built them from the ground-up as all-new designs, just for Avatar (the company has its own armory, BTW). It's not like any of these weapons are that different mechanically from standard assault rifles and shotguns; they just look different. -MT2008 14:12, 5 June 2010 (UTC)
So why are the majority of these guns allowed on this sight? these guns would be no diffrent then a person making a Halo video game page and that isnt allowed? Most of the guns in avatar are fake science fiction toys designed by the seven year old that lives inside James Cameron's head. Spades of Columbia
they do have real guns in side them, we just don't know which guns yet. Rex095
break open revolver
[moved from main page]
Possibly an MP412 Rex
with a scope a laser sight?
A Revolver would be a good choice for enclosed environment. one less brass flying everywhere and getting lodged in sensitive machinery, and forces the user to aim more, and not hit sensitive machinery. Rex095
- found this video on the net http://surrealaward.com/avatar/videobroll04.shtml --AdAstra2009 20:21, 19 December 2009 (UTC)
only six shots, and no brass, it a revolver Rex095
when did he break it open i never him do that in the movie-Doomsayer64
I'm pretty sure its not an MP412. They never really made them besides prototypes to my knowledge Probably easier and cheaper to mock up a regular revolver. I don't ever recall him breaking it open either so guessing its a normal solid frame mock up. Epic movie btw! -Furious Oyster
Remember tho, the Marines were all mercenaries now so it could be its just a custom weapon the Colonel uses modified with some extra gear. I didnt get a close enough look at the peice used by the crew cheif during the main battle so I can't say for sure, just a guesss--Kellers357
The Colonel is the only on carrying this gun, so it must be a persion sidearm
According to the avatar wiki the Wasp can be acquired privately by RDA soldiers. also the wasp can kill or injer most pandora wildlife with 6 shots. if the gun is that good, and the RDA standard issue sidearms look like most modern 9mm pistols, then is must be an expensive Revolver. if it was cheap it would be the RDA standard issue sidearm. Rex095
in the http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/7953/catalogueweta2.jpg image the pistol looks like a star trek phaser. Rex095
Is it just me or does it look like the pistol from Halo? Actually, most of the gear reminds me of Halo! - GunEnthusiast
he did make Aliens, and the gear form Halo is aspired by the gear in Aliens. Rex095
- Besides the M60, I haven't recognize what the other guns are. Excalibur01 04:43, 20 December 2009 (UTC)
- I realise he made Aliens but the pistol just looks strikingly similar to the one from Halo and the rotorcraft looked so much like Pelicans! GunEnthusiast
the Aerospatiale SA-2 Samson look more like the UH-1 Iroquois (Huey), and the pistols have longer slide.
- They do look more like Huey and also a Hornet from Halo 3 combined with the double propellers. Halo is pretty much based on Aliens, so why not James Cameron steal off of Halo? Excalibur01 08:19, 21 December 2009 (UTC)
If you compare the Avatar Marines helos to the USMC's you'll see a strong resembles, Hueys and Cobras you know?
- I get that, but the gunship reminds me of the Pelicans - GunEnthusiast
all the Vehicles look practical, and could really work. The Dragon, look like they combined the idea of the C-130, and a gunship. Rex095
- The helos and gunships are clearly based on the Marine´s dropship from Aliens (that´s what I call the "Cameron Style"). Just look at the external cockpits:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/jamescameronsavatar/images/d/d2/Scorpion.jpg Markost 01:58, 28 February 2010 (UTC)
- Trivia: Weta Workship is the same company that made the Halo props for the District 9's directors' short live-action Halo films. - Kenny99 03:50, 19 June 2010 (UTC)
unknown Bullpup rifle
there is a third tip of rifle used by the humans. Colonel Quaritch use it to shot at the escape Samson, Norm Spellman, and Trudy Chacon are seen holding the same tipe of rifle. i think it had the same base as the other rifles but has a different barrel.
Never mind it was the unknown Bullpup pump-action shotgun.
You guys ever heard of the MRC? Made by Crye Associates, prototype, bullpup caseless rifle looks just like those. Albiet with a few mods.RedJedRevolver 01:58, 9 March 2010 (UTC)
the soldier's rifle on the far left has a different ejection port than the props which is open and features a Mini 14s's charging handle.--FIVETWOSEVEN 23:39, 2 May 2010 (UTC)
Jake at one point in the film pull grenade pins out with his teeth. it is possible but since he was in an his 10 foot tall Avatar at the time, and they were human grenade which he taped two together just to hold the properly.
The Grenades are the cylinder design like smoke grenade, and Stun Grenade.
Are they really true grenades? Looking too big. Maybe ad hoc converted warheads from Trudy's Samson (since she doesn't use missiles attacking Quaritch)?
they were Grenades,Jake just taped two together just to hold the properly
but still each of the two seems too big and resembling more of smoke grenade than HE hmmm
The RDA could be making there own grenades?, everything they can make on Pandora the do make. they may make more power full grenades because of the size and toughness of Pandora wildlife. the picture of the table of guns have some grenade next to a rifle for size comparison. Rex095
Drawings (Moved from main page)
here are the links to drawings I made of the SIR and PDW according to the "Human Hardware" featurette :
and here is a picture of the whole "armory" from WetaNZ, picture found on the "Avatar Movie Zone " blog "surrealaward.com/avatar/imagesvmagazines.html", from the Cinefex images slide show:
you can see a Long Range Sniper Rifle that is not seen in the movie
(thank you in advance to the one who'll integrate those drawings to the article)
it looks like the Long Range Sniper Rifle is using the same reserve as the shotgun. I think I read in the avatar wiki that the shotgun used 20mm shell. I think that is was desined to be used as a shotguns,sniper rifle and a grenade launcher. Rex095
I think that some of the description about the weapon is strange. I bought "Avatar the activist survival guide" and according to the book,GS-221 was manufactured by ISBF Protection Solutions,not by Matanza. And I took a close look at the weapon's description and the picture,I found out they were not even the same gun at all. Actually,I think that GS-221 might be the M60 we were discussing about. Please inform me if I am wrong , thank you!
When Quaritch (I believe that's his name) was making his speech about how dangerous Pandora is, he had a weapon in a holster, the pistol grip was hollowed out, so I figured it couldn't have been a handgun. (one that takes a mazgazine anyway.) It looked to me like the hollowed out handgrip of an MP-5. My guess, the MP-5K PDW. Now my question is this, IF that's an MP-5K, how in the world is that going to perform against a target that has "naturally occuring carbon fiber" in it's bone structure? The MP-5 doesn't perform as well against human targets let alone one of those. --Camden Hennis 17:31, 4 May 2010 (UTC)
Quaritch uses a SN-9 WASP Break-open Revolver as his main side arm not a MP5. according to the avatar wiki most of the machines use depleted plutonium rounds. I would assume the same for there rifle as well. also Quaritch Revolver is said to shoot 9 millimeter hypervelocity sabot rounds. even with the special ammo and high caliber gun the Navi are still very hard to kill. according to the script Tsu'tey is talks a burst form a rifle to the chest, falls of the Valkyrie shuttle and still docent immediately die. this is probably why they have the AMP suits with 30mm cannons. Rex095 ~
Also don't sell the MP5K so short. It's part of a family of firearms that's called the definitive sub machinegun for close quarters combat, counter terrorism and police. I think you are comparing an MP5K on how it performs in Call of Duty, which it sucks. A burst of 9mm rounds to your chest will knock you down and kill you. You assume because it's small, compact and fires a 9mm, means it sucks. Excalibur01 04:42, 19 June 2010 (UTC)
Please edit/add folowing thins in the specific subsections
AVR-30 (M60 type MG)
Please add in the Picture-Description of "Jake Sully fires the AVR-30" (or in the description above the picture):
"...trapped by a Thanator and almost misses every shot but still can't injure the Thanator because of it's strong armor."
SN-9 WASP (Custom Break-open Revolver)
Please add in the 2nd Picture "Col. Quaritch (Stephen Lang) opens fire with the WASP."
"...opens fire with the WASP and injures Grace (Sigourney Weaver)."
MBS-9M .50 Caliber "Hydra" (Tri-Barreled Machine Gun)
In the 2nd Picture-Description:
"...mans the Hydra, next to him one with the AVR-30."
GAU-90 30mm Autocannon (Fictional Heavy Cannon)
"The GAU-90 uses 30mm rounds, has a low firing rate and has two huge sling hooks notably."
Found a Picture for the Multi-rocket launcher: 
Just throwing this out there; does anyone else think the "combat shotgun" bears a resemblance to the Heckler & Koch CAWS shotgun if the carry handle was removed and the front end was tweaked a bit? MrOshimida27 21:46, 15 March 2011 (CDT)